Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial with Krischelle

Hello Everyone, I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are into the swing of your daily routine - I know I am! My name is Krischelle and I am bringing you this week's Tuesday Tutorial!

I am just in love with doilies at the moment, so I am going to show you what you can do with grandma's old doilies!

If you don't have any doilies at home, head on down to your local thrift store and grab your self a bag of doilies at a bargain price - I think I picked up 20 doilies for about $8. I personally like the handcrafted doilies, but commercially produced ones will also work.

You can then go one of two ways to recreate your doily, either water die your doily or alternatively you can paint your doily. I like the depth of colour that fabric paint creates so I have used Pebeo Setacolor Opaque metalic fabric paint.


Apply paint liberally with a foam brush, using a dabbing action.



Set the doily aside to dry.



Just to ensure that the paint is entirely set, make sure you follow the instructions for the fabric paint and this fabric paint require you to set the colour by ironing (no steam) for 5 minutes.

TIP: Just because you are using a doily in a layout, doesn't mean that the layout needs to be girlie! Check out the layout I created of my Dad!


So look out for some old doilies and colour your layouts with this popular trend!

Thought I would show you how to take this concept one step further - I took some of the doilies I painted and attached to some white t-shirts - in fact I gave these away as Christmas presents!

1 comment: